Sunday 8 August 2010

An initial Painting

Well Iv'e been able to borrow my brothers Wacom tablet for the next few weeks. So I decided I'd actually produce a digital painting now. You've seen the reference images, but I wanted to do an initial painting just so you can get an accurate feel for what I want to create. I also wanted to test out photoshop CS5's new paint brush features and they are amazing.

This was created straight from photoshop. No sketches or guides. I didn't even have any reference images in front of me. Just painting off the top of my head.



The boat is kept simple, but I actually like it like that. There aren't even any windows. Its a slightly 3D silhouette of a boat. With minimal shading. The waves created by the growing storm are the main focus of this animation.

Just looking at the picture now, I'm thinking maybe that the clouds end a bit to suddenly.
I'd like to hear what people think of it. Both from an idea and a technical point of view.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I go away for the weekend - and come back to whole clutch of lovely posts from you!
    I love the stormy sea idea...your music has a huge, epic feel to it, so that should fit really well. The initial sketches are coming along nicely - keep going ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ethan - think you're onto something here - why not consider using really bold stylisation to bring this music to life? You could use silhouettes and lighting flashes to reveal details of your scene; in terms of the waves and water effects, you could go for something more theatrical; in this sense, you could craft 'an experience', as opposed to mimicking life and physics and the world.

    Take a look at this for some inspiration:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGs3eXvob3Q

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice work there man....not sure what your music is though, but im sure it goes hand in hand....wouldnt mind seeing some cold hues of blue in there!

    ReplyDelete