Thursday 23 February 2012

The Major Project - The Introduction

I've had another idea about the introduction to the animation. I don't have anything new to show yet, but I am in the process of doing some slight re editing. However I'm always concerned of not only the animation itself getting too long, but probably more importantly, act 1 being proportionally longer than the main part of the film, which would, to me, seem odd. On the other hand I do agree that maybe it is important that the audience better understands the premiss before the main film. It is a problem.

However, I think considering the nature of the concept, and how I can see it as a series, the opportunity has opened to have a short intro title sequence.
Like many cartoon series, particularly older ones, they use the intro sequence as a way of setting up the concept, introducing characters by name and what they do etc.

I'm thinking that it could be done with either rendered still or paintings, cut out in layers to add depth, in a sort of 2.5D style. So I could setup the premiss with a selection of stills and a bit of text. eg - the title, created by, then 'starring Saint Anthony the Patron Saint of Lost Things'. That way I can introduce the audience to the basic premiss through coloured storyboards, without detracting from the main story of this episode, the day the monk finds a kitten, and still be able to focus on getting quality animation in the main part of the episode.

The intro sequence would still need as much care and attention as the main animation, but with Maya out of its pipeline it means that I can spend more time storyboarding it and getting it right, while along side that, getting the technical maya stuff done for the main animation. if I was to do something like this I think it could work really well and sell the project.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

A Flock of Pixels.

No comments:

Post a Comment