Friday 8 October 2010

Narrative - More Concepts

Today, I have more concept sketches. Lets start with the astronaut.



The astronaut is basically done, but as you can see, it's only the front.




So because I didn't have enough room to draw the side on the same page, I traced it on the edge of another page. I have been having trouble trying to draw the astronaut from the side, and at first, I couldn't work out where I was going wrong. In the end I figured out that because the lower half of the body is thin, I was also drawing the top half thin. This explained why the helmet always appeared squashed. I also couldn't decide how the padding around him, looked from the side.



I then decided to try and draw the back instead. (Left Picture) I then found a problem with the padding around the bottom. It just wouldn't be comfortable to sit on. I couldn't even decide whether it should point up (opposite to the front) or point down (same way to the front).
Either way, I ditched the padding there and settled for a standard belt. (Middle Picture)
I then had another go at a side view. Apart from it looking like a scribble, I think that the shape looks better than before.



This last picture, I accidentally drew, but thought it looked slightly Roman like. I then added a cape. I'm thinking that this sketch could be used as an idea for my character design project, where I'm mixing mythical with space opera. Who knows, but it will probably get discarded!


____________________


The next few sketches are of the pod. These pods are what the astronauts escape in.


The way in which I went about drawing this was simple. I started with a circle/sphere. I then thought of all the requirements, assuming that it was to land safely on the ground.
For starters it needs to escape quickly, but to also have some basic steering. So I added rockets around the top.
I'm then thinking, if it's rocketing towards the earth, how do I slow it down for a safe landing. Stick a parachute in the center, or maybe several. Then some feet need to fold out just before landing.
In the story board, I need the door in which they get out, to unfold from the front. So that was added, but then I'm thinking, how do they get into the pod in the first place, without going outside the space station. So what I've done is removed the central rocket, and replaced it with an air tight, circular door. The pod is clamped to the space station via this entrance.


I've even thought about what the inside might look like. There are four seats in the middle of the pod.

Anyway, I've probably done too much thinking really, especially as it's going to crash land in the trailer anyway!



What I've done here is drawn it a bit more accurately from the front.



Then also the top.

____________________


The next thing I was thinking about were the cars of the future. I thought of having cars without wheels, but instead, tank tracks. Only not two tank tracks, but one tank track. As seen here.

Now you may be thinking, how on earth does it steer. Well it doesn't. It only goes backwards or forwards, which might seem a bit silly, but it's not a silly as the next big Idea I had. What if all the roads in every city were in a grid. i.e. No curved roads. I thought that at every junction there would were four turn tables. As diagrammed above. Assuming the turn tables are going anti clockwise, turning left would be easy, but turning right would be a little more amusing. I then just thought of having one super large turn table. All you would do is drive on, then wait until you face the correct road, then drive off.
I wasn't quite sure how serious the rest of the team were going to take this, but amazingly they all liked the idea.

____________________

Next up is the Refraction Anomaly Detector (RAD).

Same as before, I looked at some hair dryers, and just experimented a bit with the designs.


____________________

Lastly I'll finish up with some other sketches that were done, while we were all discussing our ideas.

The scientist.


The Soldier.


Well that's it from A Flock of Pixels. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment